|The archipelago of Comoros |
Also called "Islands of Perfumes" or "Islands of the Moon". They consist of four islands located in the Western Indian Ocean :
- Grande Comore (N'gazidja - 1148 km2)
- Moheli (Mwali - 290 km2)
- Anjouan (N'dzouani - 424 km2)
all three independent since July 6, 1975. Mayotte (Maore - 374 km2) attached to France and spent the archipelago overseas department in 2011.
Information of Grande Comores
- Producer of ylang-ylang, vanilla, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon.
- Exuberant vegetation, large plantations of coconut palms, orchids, mangoes.
- Outstanding terrestrial wildlife including many endemic species: birds, butterflies, iguanas, lizards, lemurs and bats, including the famous Livingstone's flying fox.
- Seabed rich in coral and fish species including the famous Coelacanth Global Website nesting green turtles, seasonal passage of whales, dolphins, many permanent waters rich in lobsters, prawns, crabs
Capital : Moroni
Population : 70 000 inhabitants
International Airport : Prince Said Ibrahim
Languages : Comoros, French, Arabic
Local Time : 3
GMT Temperatures : between 23 and 28 degrees throughout the year
Seasons : Dry and "fresh" from May to October, hot and wet November to April
Currencies : Comorian Franc (KMF) 1 Euro = 490 KMF
Communications : Telephone, fax, internet IDD Code: 269
Visas : Passport and visa validity short of the finish obtained
Banks : Monday-Thursday 7:30 am 2:00 p.m. Friday 7:30 to 11:00